Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Let me introduce you...


"The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves." ~Steven Spielberg

For the last several years a booth was added so that up and coming jewelry artists could gain experience exhibiting in a retail show under the tutelage of seasoned artists. This year's two juried student artists are Robin Bass and Denisa Piatti. Join us in welcoming them to the party!


Robin Bass

1. What led you to designing and creating jewelry?

I was always fascinated with jewelry, sculpture and design. As a little girl my mom would find me in the department stores on my tip toes trying to peek in the jewelry cases. I became a Graphic Designer after I graduated from UMCP majoring in Advertising Design. After working 20 years as a designer for an advertising/design agency and then once I had children, freelancing, I've been a student at Mica for a few years studying metalwork and jewelry design. Lately making gifts for friends and relatives and selling my work online or from home.

2. Are you a full time artist and how did you make your way there?

Yes and have always been in some capacity.

3. Biggest challenge as an artist?

Having the time to produce all the designs in my head and working by myself when I am really a people person is hard at times. I am hoping one day to have real people here to help and to talk to besides my dog Kirby.

4. Describe your creative process?

Always being inspired by fashion and modern sculpture. I usually start with a sketch on my iPad or sketch book or sometimes I even create a rendering in gauche. Some of my new designs are designed right from the lathe. I then take the turned design and cut into it to create a more distinctive piece. I also am now teaching myself 3D design and will be sending out a few pieces to be 3D printed very shortly.

5. What inspires you?


What doesn’t is an easier question for me to answer. I am inspired by so much around me. You could say nature but who isn’t inspired by nature? High fashion, modern art, sculpture, simple everyday items at times.. I am addicted to my iPhone camera and presently have almost 3000 photos on it… many are screen shots of things that inspire me…flowers, ironwork, door knockers, sculpture, etc.

6. Tell me about the technical process you employ in your work.


My most recent collection is lathed pieces that have been cut into to create unique shapes. I am meticulous about the finishing process and I finally have come up with the perfect balance of matte and sheen with a combination of hand finishing and tumbling. I spend more time finishing pieces usually than on the actual construction most of the time.

7. How would you describe your artistic style and how has it changed over the years?


Sterling bud cuff w/black pearl
I like the idea of creating a simple statement. Something that demands attention yet doesn’t shout it. I like bold clean modern designs in jewelry that are unique yet timeless.

8. Any big plans for the future? Other shows, etc...

I am doing the Facets show for the first time in October at Cross Keys in Baltimore. [Click here for more info.]

9. If someone wants to purchase a piece from you (away from the show) what is the best way for them to contact you?

I have a website, robinbassjewelry.com, a blog and I am on etsy or they are welcome to call 443.604.8094.


Denisa Piatti

1. What led you to designing and creating jewelry?

When I was 13, my dad took me to visit the Secondary School of Applied Arts in my country-Slovakia, as I was always good at crafts and creative activities. Right there and then, I fell in love with the art of creating jewelry. Two years later, I enrolled in a 4 year intensive program focused on traditional jewelry techniques and materials. I continued to broaden my skills and creative thinking at another 4 year studies, receiving my BA in Three Dimensional Design at art school in Scotland.


And I continue with my love affair with jewelry until today…

2. Are you a full time artist and how did you make your way there?

Yes I am. I invest all my time and energy into designing and making my pieces. Establishing myself as an artist requires my full commitment and is a long and demanding journey. But there is nothing that I would rather do.

3. Biggest challenge as an artist?

To stay focused and enthusiastic after rejections and the struggle for establishment and recognition.

4. Describe your creative process?


It has a lot to do with the excitement and exploration of new, unconventional materials, their possible transformation and metamorphosis into something new, unexpected…

5. What inspires you?

Everything around me, small details, colors, shapes, patterns, and contrast.

6. Tell me about the technical process you employ in your work.

As the materials play a central role in my work, the technical process always changes. In my latest collection I mainly cut, polish, form and rivet acrylic plastic with precious metals and stones.

7. How would you describe your artistic style and how has it changed over the years?


In my work, I apply organic forms and shapes to inorganic materials to become body adornments. My most recent body of work is inspired by the shapes of seaweed washed ashore.

By using the combination of colorful acrylics with precious metals I want to question whether it is materials, craftsmanship, or design that makes jewelry precious. I use this contrast as an instrument to stimulate the wearer or viewer to ponder how jewelry derives its value.

8. Any big plans for the future? Other shows, etc...


I have big plans, the question is how to achieve them.

But aside from that, I will participate at the World Bank Margaret McNamara craft show in DC this fall, and my collection will be exhibited by the Six Foot Gallery in Glasgow, Scotland. Additionally some of my work can currently be found at the Earrings Galore exhibition at the Heidi Lowe Gallery in Delaware.

9. If someone wants to purchase a piece from you (away from the show) what is the best way for them to contact you?


Come and see me at my beautiful studio that I share with two other jewelers and a painter in downtown DC! We are located at 923 F Street, NW, near Gallery Place Chinatown Metro station. You can look up my work at denisapiatti.com, or contact me directly at info@denisapiatti.com.

1 comment:

  1. I love the work of these two artists and am so glad to have them in Pleiades this year. Thank you Deborah for the great commentary.

    ReplyDelete