Monday, October 27, 2014







“It is good to love many things, for therein lies true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done.” ~Vincent van Gogh



Odaybea Morrow’s jewelry are creations born from her years living internationally. Born in Africa; raised in Europe; living and working in Asia and living, working and studying in the USA. Introduced to the intricacy of Native American beadwork while working and studying in Albuquerque she developed a passion to design jewelry. A Master’s degree in Medical Anthropology led her to Ethiopia working with women and children on health issues where she gained an even greater appreciation for the artistry and sophistication of local silver and gold work. With a PhD in international health from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, the next years living and working on three continents enabled her to build an extensive collection of antique beads and learn about culturally specific jewelry design. Odaybea’s recent move to the US with her family has allowed her to return to creating unique and exquisite jewelry inspired by all the cultural diversity of those years’ experiences.


Blue quartz, lavender
amethyst and garnet
Jewelry by Odaybea is a collection of hand fabricated and cast jewelry using precious, semi-precious stones and pearls and are accented with sterling silver, 14kt gold fill or 24kt gold vermeil.

1.    How did you get involved in Pleiades? How long ago?

I was invited to be a guest jeweler a number of years ago and last year was invited to be a permanent member.

2. What led you to designing and creating jewelry?


SS Dragonfly ring
With Mexican Opal
Since I could hold a pencil, I’ve had a need to release some form or another of artistic energy. But I started creating jewelry after finishing my BA – I had taken a year off before continuing graduate studies. During that year off I worked in a shelter home for abused and neglected children and during the late evenings, we would make jewelry to pass the time and keep ourselves up. I spent many years working towards and completing a PhD in International Health, but throughout that process, I continued making jewelry and sold it to friends and family.

Sterling Paisley earrings
with Garnet
I had dreams of becoming more serious about making jewelry but was reluctant to give up the public health, plus I was living abroad and it wasn’t feasible. It wasn’t until I had our third child, that I decided to stay at home with him and pursue my artist side more seriously. About 7 years ago we moved back to the US and I was able to take classes with Mimi Harris. She shared her passion of metal work with me and I’ve been designing and creating ever since.

first wax piece cast in SS
with tahitian pearl
A year and a half ago I took a wax class at the Art League. Through this class I discovered a love for sculpting.  Much of my newest work combines my newfound passion for sculpting wax and my love of gemstones.

3. Describe your creative process?


Orange and yellow
sapphires with citrine
in sterling silver “hole” ring
My creative process comes in sputters.  I can’t force it.  Sometimes I’ll dream of a particular design, or I’ll be sitting at a stop light and an image of what to create forms in my mind. Other times I’ll be sitting at my work bench with piles of gemstones in front of me, and as cliché as it might sound, the gemstones “speak” to me, so I know which ones want to be together and in what format.

4. What inspires you?

I am mostly inspired by my travels abroad and nature.

5. Tell me about the technical process you employ in your work.

Ahh, the technical processes… Much of it is ad hoc.  I solder, wire wrap, saw, drill and I carve and melt wax…

6. How would you describe your artistic style and how has it changed over the years?


Green onyx and
14kt gold vermeil
I guess my artistic style would be classic elegance. I’m not sure my style has changed much over the years.  What have changed are my skills.  Since learning how to work with metal and to carve wax, my designs have certainly evolved, but my style remains classic.  My newest line however, has taken a slight turn and would probably be considered to be more modern than classic.

Amethyst Hoop Earrings
7. Any big plans for the future? Other events?

No specific big plans for the future. I want to continue working on my skills, particularly stone setting.

8. If someone wants to purchase a piece from you what is the best way for them to contact you?

Both Facebook and Etsy are good ways to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment